venerdì 30 settembre 2011

[RE] Catherine and Heatcliff. And Math.


 So if Calc I finds tangents, derivatives, and integrals in two dimensions, my class Calc III finds tangents, derivatives, and integrals in three dimensions.[...] It is quite an interesting class.


When I read Christopher's post, I was like: please, tell me it is a joke. Very simply (not for me anyways), he explains the differences between Calculus III, which he is taking, and Calculus I. He tries, as much as he can, to summarize Calc III course to the audience, hopefully composed by people with a little knowledge of Algebra. So the question I was asking myself after I read the post was: ''why did you read the post?'' I mean, I don't belong to this group of people AT ALL.  My relationship with Math is complicated, like the one between Catherine and Heathcliff from ''Wuthering Heights''. 

But after a while, I figured out the answer: I felt Christopher's passion and energy towards what he was explaining and towards what he is studying. I think it's amazing. It's great when you study something that you like, because the probabilities that the results will be good or really really good are higher than usual. But it's not possible to be fond of everything, and in that case you have to try to do your best anyway, in order to do a decent job. Theoretically. BUT, I just can't do it when Math is involved. An obscure force possesses my mind during my fifth period, during which I have Pre-Calculus, and blows it off. Or maybe turns it off. Completely. 

What's the result of everything? I hate Math. Because I don't understand. I don't get the point. I can't appreciate the beauty of Math. Even if I would like to do it.

4 commenti:

  1. Don't forget to let Christopher know you wrote this! This time, I commented on his post to send him this link...next time you do response posts, please remember to leave them a comment letting them know you've written back. Thanks!

    RispondiElimina
  2. Sorryyyyyy!!!!! I promise I won't forget again!

    RispondiElimina
  3. Thank you, Mr. Sutherland! I received your comment.

    Luki: I'm sorry that you hate math =( It pains me to hear that, but I understand. Math doesn't "suit" everybody. My hope is that you don't see math only as formulas and numbers. A whole bunch of varieties of math are out there. There are things like design and architecture which utilize visual displays and cool graphs to make awesome structures and paintings or whatnot. Thank you for spending the time to read my blog and comment on the post =]

    Chris.

    RispondiElimina
  4. Oh,well..I really like the way you talk about Math. It's interesting! That's why I read your post :) Luki

    RispondiElimina