mercoledì 28 settembre 2011

[FREE] ''Italians do it better''. Not always.

Few days ago, during dinner, I had an interesting and challenging discussion with my host parents. It all started with the question: ''Would you eat pizza here, Luki?''. And my answer was like ''Damn, no! Only forced!''. Well, it wasn't the best answer that I could give and also, the way I said it was mean. So we started talking about food in general and we end up talking (implicitly) about my snob and a bit close-minded attitude towards American culture.

Only now, far away from Italy, I see how much my country's pride about his own culture affected me. And I am sure that also the way my parents raised me influenced me in this sense (mom and dad, don't worry, I love you anyways!). I could have explained more clearly my opinions and make them understand that I have a huge respect for American culture, and the fact that I decided to come here confirms it. American people's attitude towards life, the independence from a young age, the idealism and the multiculturalism brought me here.

So, dear host parents, I will try to improve in this sense. Not lose the opportunity to do or taste or see something new here, only because I think ''Italians do it better'' ( No misunderstandings, please. I am talking in general!). And about my, hopefully, not very frequent snob behavior: it doesn't sound new to me that someone makes me notice this aspect of my character. What can I say? Well, let me have this defect, because I could risk to become perfect! ahah

2 commenti:

  1. Good for you to see beyond your own prejudices. Lord knows, we all have 'em.

    If you try pizza here, I recommend going to Zachary's in Oakland for their Chicago-style deep dish. It's really good, although I'm sure it's nothing at all like the pizza you eat back home. (Chicago pizza is its own cuisine.) Go hungry...it's a HUGE meal.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Well, I said I will be more openend and I could try to go. But when I'll be able to make a really good pizza, I'll bring it to school. Then you will eat ONLY the Italian one. I am sure!

    RispondiElimina