mercoledì 7 settembre 2011

[FREE] A coconut hit my head

Some days it happens that I wake up in the morning and I feel like a coconut has hit my head. Today was one of those days.                                                                              

I don’t know how to describe this sensation I feel when it happens, but I’ll try to explain it. It’s like being in a constant state of confusion and having the feeling that something unpleasant is going to happen. And you know what? I don’t try to fight against it anymore. ‘If anything can go wrong, it will’ says one of the Murphy’s laws. The only thing I usually do to reduce the eventuality that the coconut hits me is to follow a kind of advice I read in a book: ‘Wake up in the morning and be optimistic’. When I first read it, I laughed. But then, I tried to be open-minded and to see if it could work. Honestly, it does. I feel better than before. 
Anyway, sometimes you can’t avoid  that some coconuts  fall off the palm and you can’t  avoid them to hit you. And today I wasn’t able to do it.

What did go wrong? No one cares. Nor me. I just want to get this unpleasant feelings off my chest and go on. Now I am frustrated and annoyed, but it’s not going to happen tomorrow too. 
Well, I hope. Because how I said before ‘If anything can go wrong, it will’.  So for tomorrow,I think I will either pray ''the God of the good days'' to be nice to me or to pray ''the God of rock'n'roll'' to escape uninjured as Keith Richards did, when he fell off the coconut palm.

4 commenti:

  1. This is great! Your writing has humor, humility, and wisdom. You've been very nervous, I think, about writing in English in the first days of our class, but this right here is strictly golden. I know the story you're talking about with Keith Richards...now THERE is a guy who has been hit with plenty of coconuts and kept on waking up each morning, somehow.

    I was thinking of you the other day because I replaced my lost copy of one of my favorite books by my favorite author, who is from...Italy! Have you ever read Italo Calvino? You share some of his witty style.

    Thanks for this. It really makes me smile.

    RispondiElimina
  2. I read a book by Italo Calvino: 'The Nonexistent Knight'. But I hope to read something else written by him!

    RispondiElimina
  3. Heh, heh, heh...

    http://j1t.blogspot.com/2010/04/spring-break-reading-1-nonexistent.html

    I have much more, if you'd like to try any in English.

    RispondiElimina